Monday, March 8, 2010

Tumbling Tots

Back in December I enrolled Maddie in a 12-week program at Salto in Waukesha for 2 and 3-year-olds.  We took the class with our friends PJ and Sara Cannon and their daughter, Lizzie, who is about 7 months older than Maddie.  The class was pretty small, only about 6 or 7 kids, which turned out to be a good thing.  Every Saturday, we'd go to to Salto, then make a trip to McDonald's for breakfast and some time in the play land.

Unfortunately, Justin had wrestling most Saturdays which prevented him from being able to join us.  He was able to join us for the last two classes and let me tell you, having the extra set of hands there to chase Maddie as she tried to run all over the place was a God send.

It's really remarkable how much Maddie progressed over the 12 weeks.  The first day she was very shy and wanted nothing to do with listening to the teacher.  By the end of the session, she was right in there paying attention to what she was supposed to do and while she still wanted to do it in her own order, she tried every station and did much better at following directions.  Don't get me wrong, most days still found Sara, PJ and me chasing our daughters away from the trampoline and slide while the other kids seemed to follow right along with the teacher, but we all had fun and the girls were able to get some energy out to start the day.  Overall, a great success I'd say.

This past Saturday was our last class.  I'll admit, I'm kind of looking forward to not having to be somewhere at 8:45 Saturday morning, but I will miss seeing PJ and Sara every weekend.  We've decided when the weather is nice, we're going to meet maybe every other Saturday at a local park for coffee and play time.  The one thing we will NOT miss is the smell of dirty feet that the Salto gym seemed to be engrossed in.  Pee yew!!

Here are some pictures I snapped at our last class:


Here she was supposed to put her hands on the hands and kick her feet up to practice a hand stand.


Hanging from the bar - she loved this one.


Climbing and jumping, two of Maddie's favorite pastimes.


The famous trampoline.


"Cheese!"


The parachute game - a classic!


Playing in the foam pit with Lizzie when she was supposed to be on the balance beam.  Oh well.


Justin decided to join and throw them up in the air. My camera was too slow to get an action shot.


This was just after I said, "She hates the balance beam, you are never going to get her up there."  Guess she just needed a little boost of confidence from Daddy!


Maddie's favorite part of Salto - stamps on her hands and feet at the end of class.

A few things I learned from our Salto experience:

  • You never get used to the smell of dirty feet.

  • Two-year-olds have incredibly short attention spans.

  • Maddie is actually very good at taking turns.  This surprised me.

  • I still love to jump in the foam pit.  It was my favorite when I was in Salto as a kid and it's still just as fun now.

  • Everything is more fun when Justin is there to share it.

  • Stamps are a great motivator.  If ever the threat of no stamp loomed, Maddie shaped right up and did what she was told.  A.ma.zing.

  • I like being lazy on Saturday mornings.  While this was a great experience, I am looking forward to having nothing to rush to on Saturday mornings.
Anyone who may be interested in signing up for a class at Salto, here is the link http://www.salto-gymnastics-dance.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS