Thursday, March 24, 2011

When You Thought I Wasn't Looking

Wow. I knew it had been a while since I posted, but I didn't realize it had been nearly a month! Life has just been packed full of things the last month and I haven't had a moment to breathe, let alone blog. There are many things I need to share, but I need to sit down and actually formulate the ideas before I write.

So today, I want to share a poem that I have been meaning to share for about 6 months now. This is a poem that was given to us at Jack's Baptism prep class and it's been hanging on our fridge ever since. As a parent, I find it a great reminder that our kids are always looking, even when we think they are too little to know what is going on. Miss Madelyn reminds me of this every day.

As you read this, I hope you will be reminded of all the times you learned by watching others growing up. I also hope you will be reminded that while this poem is about a child observing their parent, it holds true for so many other people in our lives. You never know who is watching and learning from what you do. But the one person you can be assured is watching is God. I've really been working hard this Lent to be sure that the way I live my life is a reflection of my belief and trust in Him. It's not always easy, but I feel like I owe it to Him to try. After all, I'm trying to get to heaven some day!!

When You Thought I Wasn't Looking
When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator,
and I wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw you feed a stray cat,
and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw you make my favorite cake for me,
and I knew that little things are special things.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I heard you say a prayer,
and I believed that there was a God to talk to.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I felt you kiss me goodnight,
and I felt loved.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw tears come from your eyes,
and I learned that sometimes things hurt,
but it's alright to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I saw that you cared,
and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking,
I looked....
and I wanted to say thanks for all the things
I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.

Does anyone else feel like they can hear "I always feel like somebody's watching me" playing in their head?  Haha - Happy Thursday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS