Saturday, October 20, 2012

Lighten Up

We've lived in our house for six and a half years.  When we bought our house it was a...I don't even know how to describe what it was.  It was like 1973 married 1988 and had an unfortunately hideous looking child.  It had potential, we knew that, and if we had a bigger budget its makeover would have been much more potential-unleashing, but let's be honest, whose house wouldn't look different if that ugly word...budget...wasn't part of their lives?
 
One of the things we did to bring the house into the 21st century was update the trim and doors to a crisp white.  Of course now we have children and that crisp white is laden with dirt and a whole host of other things I won't even list lest you should judge my housekeeping skills.  What?  You don't think you'd judge? Oooookie dokie.
 
Anyway, it's taken years to finish this update and it's still actually not 100% complete, mainly because painting trim is worse than water boarding.  Honestly, you want some terrorists to talk? I say we give them paintbrushes and trim with lots of nooks and crannies and force them to paint until there are no brush strokes and no sign of the dark red stain that previously existed. I think we'd have caught Osama 4 years ago.
 
One of the spaces that was ignored until just last week...yes, it was ignored for 6 and a half years...was our front door.  Our fifteen-paneled, dark reddish front door with two sidelights.  Fifteen panels people.  Now do you see why I waited 6 and a half years?  Here she is shortly after we moved in (please forgive the plastic bins and too-small rug, it's slightly better now):
 
 
 
Notice the mismatch of trim on the stairs? Yeah, that's still there. Spindles, folks. That is a job I am not willing to take on yet...but I'm mustering the courage and may endeavor on that journey soon.  I'll keep you posted.
 
Anyway, that door was like a black hole.  We have very little natural light in our house and in our little 8x10 foyer that dark red stain was all your eyes could see and really overwhelmed the space.  Not to mention the scratches from when Winston thought every person that came to the front door was a serial killer who needed to be told who was boss.  Shock collars are a wonderful thing...but that's another post.
 
Anyway...So last weekend, I broke out the paint brushes and two coats of primer and 3 coats of bright white later, we now get to see this beauty when we walk down the stairs in the morning:
 
 
Here's another angle, just because it makes me so happy.  I really wish I had taken some more "before" shots, but I was afraid if I hesitated I wouldn't do it.  Did I mention there are fifteen panels?
 
 
And a side by side before and after for all you lazy people.  I can't even explain how much brighter it is.  Justin and I literally stood there and oogled for a good 30 seconds every time we came down the stairs for a few days.  And there might have been a few "oh wow!"s that first day or so.  I mean, I knew it was going to be brighter, but I hated this door before and now I feel like it's a brand new door.  Hooray for paint!

I still hate the rug, though the size is much better...and yes the landing does always look like someone's closet threw up shoes and coats.  Hey, I work full time.  Cleaning isn't always at the top of the priority list.
 
Watch out stair trim, you're next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS