Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Little Reminders

I don't know if any of you reading this believe in spirits, but I do.  I've never literally seen a ghost, but I do believe our loved ones continue to speak to us from the other side.  It seems Jack has found his voice as well.

Just after Mother's Day, I heard a loud crash come from Jack's room.  I went in to find that one of the shelves had fallen off the wall, unfortunately causing the leg of his piggy bank to break off and spill coins all over the floor.  At first I didn't think much of it because I always felt like the shelves looked like they were a bit unsturdy.  Then, Maddie came in.

Maddie: "Ugh.  Jack!  Why did you DO that?!?!"

Me: "What?"

Maddie: "Mom, Jack was sitting on that shelf and it fell.  What a naughty little boy!"

I just smiled as tears filled my eyes.  Later that night I thanked God for sending my little boy to me that day.  He knew I was missing him on Mother's Day, so he came down to remind me he's still here with me.  What a good little boy, right?

Don't you worry though, he came back for Father's Day.  Maddie and I were getting ready for church while Justin took a quick run and I asked Maddie to run and get her toothbrush so we could brush her teeth before we left.  I continued to get ready in my bathroom, not really giving much thought to the time it was taking her (she's 3...it takes her forever to do anything...attention span of a gnat).

About 5 minutes later she came huffing into the bathroom holding her toothbrush in one hand and holding her other hand out flat.

Letting out a big sigh, she said, "Sorry mom!  I was in Jack's room.  He keeps trying to steal my toothbrush! So, finally I just picked him up and said, 'Jack, stop being so silly!'"

"He keeps stealing your toothbrush?!?!  What a silly goose.  Does he even have any teeth?"

"Yeah, but only one, so he really doesn't need my toothbrush. Ugh!"

Ahhh yes, some of you may say this is the imagination of a three year old at work.  Maybe it is.  In fact, there have been times Maddie has tried to blame things on her brother that were clearly her doing, and I'm sure that will continue for years to come, but I choose to believe that times like these are our angel, making sure we don't forget him or what life would be like if he was here with us. 

Thank you, God, for letting us "see" him every now and then.  And thank you, Jack, for helping us smile.  We miss you!!

2 comments:

  1. Goosebumps. Takes my breath away, Annie! Sending you lots of love. Your life in progress is so truly amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, I believe right along with you!

    My oldest has insights about my brother that are far too precise to be coincidental or a result of a good imagination. He is convinced that he knows my brother, that he's met his Uncle Bobby. In reality, Bobby died while I was still pregnant.

    Maddie is insightful, uninhibited, and inncoent - the perfect catalyst for that beautiful angel baby to remind you that you're loved!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS