Monday, February 20, 2012

A Lenten Challenge

As a kid, I dreaded Lent.  To me, it meant 40 days of giving up something I loved, no meat on Fridays and having to do the Stations of the Cross on Fridays at school.  I know, I know, I'm a horrible Catholic.  I. Hated. Lent.  But that's because my view on life then was so juvenile and self-centered.  It was all me, me, me and how my life was affected. I never stopped to think about the meaning of this season...and I wasn't yet a mother, nevermind a mother who lost her child.


Like many other things since Jack's death, Lent has taken on a new meaning (am I supposed to be capitalizing that word? I don't know.)  If you've never watched the movie 'The Passion of the Christ' I highly encourage you to do so.  If you have Time Warner Cable (God bless you if you have had even half the issues we have...but that's another post) you can do a search for it and find out what channel is airing it and the time.  It's on every year.  Otherwise, you can just rent it.  In the interest of full disclosure, it's not easy to watch, but if you watch it with an open mind and heart it may very well change the way you see and approach the Easter season as well.  I watched it for the first time last year thanks to a call-to-action from my sister's friend and neighbor, Celeste, and I will never think of Easter the same.


I could go on and on about what watching that movie did for changing my perspective, but the point is that seeing the images changed me. Admittedly, some of the change in perspective is a direct result of losing Jack and the crisis of faith that has been my life since that day, but I am confident that anyone who sees that movie will be changed in some way.

I know very little about religions outside the Catholic faith that I was brought up in.  Is giving something up for Lent just a Catholic thing?  How about no meat on Fridays?  Do Protestant faiths practice that?  I could use some education.  At any rate, at the risk of over-simplifying things my understanding of Lent growing up was that we were to give up something we loved for 40 days (minus Sundays because if you count Sundays Lent really has more than 40 days...you like how we do that, non-Catholics?  There is always a way around things to make them easier, ha!) to pay homage to the sacrifice Jesus made for us. Same with no meat on Fridays.  We give up a "luxury" so we can focus on the meaning of the Easter season.  Problem is, most people give up something like chocolate or soda and then bitch and moan for the next six weeks about how hard it is to not have it.  Miss the point much?

Last year, I didn't give anything up because I was feeling sorry for myself and I felt like I had given up enough because Jack was gone.  This year, I'm taking a new path and I am going to challenge all of you to do the same.  Rather than giving up a luxury, let's think about what we can do to strengthen our relationship with the Lord.  After all, isn't a strong relationship with God based on true trust and faith in Him?  We work on all of the other relationships in our life, why not spend some time focusing on our relationship with God?  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't give something up if that is what you are comfortable with and want to do, I'm simply saying maybe this year you could step it up a notch.

It could be as simple as making a commitment to going to church on Sundays and spending the hour really listening and absorbing the messages.  Maybe you make a commitment to spend 15 minutes a day in prayer, without any other distractions.  It's easier than you think...could you turn the radio off in the car on your way into work and just spend the time praying?  And now I'm going to go off-topic for a quick second, my apologies. 

If you make a commitment to pray, remember, praying doesn't have to mean saying the prayers we all memorized as kids.  I kind of think of it as talking to God the way I would talk to a friend about my problems, except it's better because God can actually help you with your problems.  You don't need to give him the solution you want to see, because remember, He already knows how this is going to end;)  Just put your problem out there and listen for the answer.  The Bible tells us to give our worries to God.  He wants to take our burdens.  Let Him.  I might be the biggest worry wart on the planet and I kid you not, some nights I literally say, "OK God, take my worries.  Quiet my mind and help me rest."  Try to remember to thank God through prayer too.  New since Jack died, we now thank God every single morning for waking us all up and giving us another day together.  Prayer is so many things, not just asking for what you want all the time.

Maybe you want to spend the next 40 days helping others through a charity.  Whatever it is, I encourage you to use Lent as a time to make yourself a better Christian.  Try to learn something new - about your faith or even just yourself.  Use Lent as a time for change, rather than a time to hide the sugary treats until Easter Sunday.

I am not a very good steward of the Bible, so I am going to commit to studying the Bible this Lent.  40 days is not enough time to study all the Bible has to offer, but I'm going to use this Lenten season to really dive in and read God's word in the hopes that it may serve as a guide in my life.  I've read a lot of books, blogs and articles since Jack's passing and a common theme in many of them was lessons of the Bible.  I am thoroughly impressed with people who can just rattle off Scripture; those who just know what page to turn to when they need guidance, inspiration, strength or comfort.  I hope that over time I can learn the Bible in this way...I mean, I did go to Catholic school from Kindergarten through 12th grade, so I really should know more than I do.  It's a little embarrassing really.  The real goal, however, is not just memorizing Scripture so I can rattle it off, but feeling the words and their meaning in a way that allows me to live my life according to God's will and plans for me.  How's that for a challenge!?!?

Now it's your turn.  What are you going to do this Lent to strengthen your faith and relationship with God?  How will you show that you are worthy of the sacrifices Jesus made for you?  Ready?  GO!

2 comments:

  1. Annie,
    It is so nice to walk along side of you on your faith journey. Everything you write is very inspirational and heartfelt. Nate and I have rediscovered our faith and become active Christians over the last couple of years and continue to make the effort to strengthen our personal relationship with God every day! I really enjoy reading your blogs so thank you for sharing!!
    Your family continues to be in our thoughts and prayers,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post! Lent for me as a Lutheran didn't mean giving anything up, and we were allowed to eat meat on Fridays, too! CRAAA-ZY! right? :) hahaha I have never done it...but you have inspired me! I will keep you posted with what we pick! I better hurry......:):):) Thanks for reminding us all how truly blessed we are!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS