Thursday, February 24, 2011

When I See You Smile

Ok I admit it, I'm an 80's hair band girl.  As you read this post, I invite you to play one of my favs - that now absolutely reminds me of my children.  I did spare you the actual video, opting for a video displaying the lyrics instead.  Hope you like 'Bad English' :)



Any parent will tell you, the moment you see your child smile for the first time is surely something special.  Both of my children have smiles that light up a room (yeah, I'm kind of bragging).  After Jack died, when Madelyn would see me crying she would come up to me and, smiling as big as she possibly could she'd say, "It's ok, Mommy.  You're ok."  She actually forced the smile so much that it was kind of a creepy face, but I couldn't help but smile at her desire to make me feel better.  Sweet, sweet girl, how I love you!







Aforementioned sort-of-creepy smile :)

Maddie's personality really shines through her smile.  Sometimes it's a smirk that makes you wonder what is going on in her little brain.  Sometimes it's got an innocence behind it that takes you back to the days when you were a child, when life was so simple and straight-forward.  And sometimes it's just an exhibition of pure, unadulterated happiness that just radiates through the room and infects everyone around her.  This beautiful little girl has a gift.  Her brother had the same gift.

Jack smiled early and often.  Anyone who had the pleasure of spending any time with him can attest to the fact that he was almost always smiling and bubbling over with happiness.  When life brought us lemons, Jack's smile brought the sugar and helped us make the proverbial lemonade.  Justin has told me that one of his favorite things to remember is the way Jack's face would light up like a Christmas tree whenever he saw me or Madelyn.  One of my favorite memories is walking into Jack's room in the morning, greeted by a huge, gummy smile and wildly flailing arms and legs.  It was as if his favorite thing in the whole world was when someone would come in and say good morning.  He knew that what came next was a full tummy and quality playtime with an adoring big sister and smitten mommy and daddy.  I wish with everything I have that I had a picture of that to share with you.  But while I can't show you that exact smile, I can share several others.  I hope that this angel's smile warms your heart today and brings a smile to your face that you can go out and share with others.

The first smile caught on camera.

Two months old and loving it!

Watching Maddie run circles around him while I tried to capture the perfect smile...

 And there it is!

Our little monkey.

Proud to be a Packer Backer!

His exact words were, "Gooooo!  Gooooo!"

Pure excitement - Maddie and I were off to the right (as you look at the photo), Justin was the photographer.  I thank GOD that he took these photos as they are some of our favorites.  Jack kept kicking so hard he would slip down the couch and then he and Maddie would giggle uncontrollably.

Jack loved sitting in the bumbo.  He was so strong!  He would sit and pull on that toy and spin it until it practically fell off.  Sometimes I see this sitting in the closet and I want to cry, but I have to smile remembering how he loved to play.

Could this girl be any more proud of her baby brother?!?!

Tongue smile ;)

 I loved Sunday mornings before church - hanging out on the couch with my kiddos.  I still love it, but it's a little lonely without Jack snuggled in next to me.  Sundays are tough.  They are really the only day our family is sure to be all together, only now we will forever be missing one little snuggle bug.

So angry that I cut his chin off.  I remember everything around this picture.  It was Thanksgiving weekend and Justin was at wrestling practice.  Maddie and I were giving Jack some tummy time and he stayed down there happily for 10 minutes!  Parents of infants know this is a feat.  He just chilled, watching College Gameday on ESPN and laughing at Maddie and me.  I will forever remember this day.

 "When I see you smile, I can face the world. Oh, oh, you know I can do anything."  Love you kiddos!!!

2 comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS